WELLBEING- LESSON 2-
WELLBEING WITH PERMA
PART 1- (5 MINUTES)
- each pillar of PERMA contributes to our level of "flourishing". Each pillar can be developed. These pillars also help us define wellbeing (Seligman, 2011).
- students who thrive and flourish demonstrate stronger academic performance (Norrish, Williams, O'Connor, & Robinson, 2013)
By the end of this lesson, learners should:
- identify the 5 pillars of the PERMA framework
- make recommendations for improving wellbeing through PERMA
PART 2- watch clip- (10 MINUTES)
PART 3- read and summarise- (15 MINUTES)
As they read, they should create a short summary of each part of the PERMA framework in their workbook.
DISCUSSION: Students could consider which pillar of the PERMA framework they would currently rate the highest in their own life. They could share their reasoning with a partner. Then students consider which pillar of the PERMA framework they would currently rate the lowest in their own life (and share with a partner).
PART 4- THUMB WRESTLING - (5 minutes)
Watch the demonstration and then have a go with a partner.
Consider and discuss which elements of PERMA this may enhance. How?
PART 5- student perma expert activity- (10 MINUTES)
- Based on the video, the article you have read, and your brief summary, you are to make 5 recommendations for enhancing wellbeing- make one recommendation under each part of the PERMA framework that could be useful for anyone your age to improve their own wellbeing.
PART 6- twitter hashtag- (5-10 MINUTES)
- Students form groups of three.
- Come up with an appropriate "Twitter Hashtag" that summarises the concepts learned this lesson.
- After 5 minutes, every group nominates one person to record their selected hashtag on the board.
- All class members record the full list from the board.
Definition: The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages Source: https://support.twitter.com/articles/49309?lang=en)