WELLBEING- LESSON 4-
GETTING TO KNOW CHARACTER STRENGTHS
PART 1- (5 MINUTES)
- individuals who use their character strengths tend to lead happier, more satisfying lives. When you understand your unique strengths, you can you live a life that is more engaging, exciting and rewarding to you. (Peterson and Seligman, 2004)
By the end of this lesson, learners should:
- understand some of the Values in Action (VIA) character strengths
- have a list of their own VIA character strengths
- create a list of their own desired VIA character strengths
PART 2- CHARACTER STRENGTHS SURVEY (20 MINUTES)
- DO THE VIA (Values in Action) CHARACTER STRENGTHS YOUTH SURVEY HERE. (Students can find the hyperlink to this survey in their workbook.)
It will take about 20 mins to complete, but will provide students with a scientifically validated, personalised list of character strengths.
- Students are to then record their top 5 strengths in their workbook.
PART 3- WATCH AND DISCUSS (10 MINUTES)
PART 4- HOW DO YOU WANT TO BE? (10 MINUTES)
OVERVIEW OF ALL CHARACTER STRENGTHS- HOW DO YOU WANT TO BE?
Check out this classification of the 24 character strengths. (Students will find the link in their workbook). It puts them into their 6 categories / core virtues.
Now consider and record in your workbook, which character strengths you would most like to learn, practice and cultivate? Why? How do you want to be?
Next lesson, students will learn more about how to grow one of their top character strengths.